Why an online journal for undergraduates?
- Ownership - Professional journals are so obsessed with technical sophistication that most of their papers are inaccessible to undergraduates. Magazine and newspaper articles are more accessible but often don't specifically apply economic concepts. Opus 1 makes cutting-edge economic theory and up-to-date applications of economic concepts accessible to undergraduate economics majors/minors and general readers.
- Investigative research - Most undergraduate economic training consists in reading and repeating stylized economic myths dreamed up by economists without any first hand investigation. Opus 1 thinks that economic concepts can best be tested by applying them to real-world case studies. Opus 1 provides an incentive for such undergraduate research in two formats. The award papers format covers 30-page double-spaced papers such as senior seminar papers and honor theses. Authors of accepted papers in this format will receive a prize of $100 each. The 500-word "economic encounters" format covers personal stories that creatively apply economic concecpts. Authors of accepted "encounters" will receive an Opus1 T-shirt or $10.
- Open access - Because online publishing is relatively inexpensive, Opus 1 can offer free access to interested readers all over the world.
- Reader-friendly technology - Unlike most other online journals which are simply hard-copy journals put online, Opus 1 uses cutting-edge web technology to offer easy navigation and eye-opening reading pleasure.
- Community - Opus 1 provides many participatory activities for its readers besides reading its growing contents of written materials. All readers are encouraged to write KillerApps, summarize scholarly papers, and submit personal economic encounters for publication.